Saturday, January 13, 2007

Analog flying part 2


Picking up where I left off yesterday. This is a pic of the "good" attitude indicator I was referring to. On it you will see the flight director. Those 2 little yellow bars drop down when you activate the system. Currently it is showing a turn to the left. If you were to line up the little orange triangle inside the yellow triangles, you would be following the flight director. This makes flying a lot easier because you can cut down on your instrument scan. Instead of scanning between the AI, Altimeter and HSI, you can just look at the AI for all the information you need. It will make for easier and more concise flying. The good AI also has glideslope and localizer information on it as well. On the left side of the AI, covered under the red flag is the glideslope. At the bottom is a little indicator that looks like a runway, that is the localizer. Again, when flying an approach, all you really need to do is scan between the AI, altimeter and airspeed. Easy stuff. Now to what I do.

Here is a view of me cramming my head against the ceiling and moving to the right to get a decent view of the HSI. While flying an ILS in a Lear, the HSI is the primary instrument while airspeed and altimeter are secondary. It is more difficult than most planes I have flown because I am forced into an odd position to look at the instruments. I am constantly having to look around the yoke. It is a lot of work especially when there is turbulence and the plane is being squirrelly. If I am having to make power adjustments, my scan gets thrown out of whack because I have to look away from the instruments to set my power. Add in a high ref plane with the ref speeds in the 130 range and your zipping down the approach at 140 kts +. Everything is happening quickly and my scan needs to be in top form in order to stay on top of things. ILS approaches are supposed to be easy. In the Falcon, they are as simple as can be. The Lear will make you work for it if you don't get the aircraft set up and settled in to the groove of the approach. Now for the glass cockpit and how much easier it is to fly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home