Wednesday, December 20, 2006

A Merry Christmas for somebody.

Yesterday was a great day! I got the chance to make somebody's Christmas a very happy one. Yesterday was my first "Lifeguard" flight. We were tasked with flying a liver from S.C to my childhood hometown of Rochester, NY. There was an extra sense of urgency with this flight. I felt like we couldn't get there fast enough. It felt good that I was actually doing something important with my flying. By bringing this much needed organ to a recipient, in a round-a-bout way we are helping prolong somebody's life. With this being the Christmas season, what better way to celebrate than with a new lease on life with a new liver.
As a bonus, I got to spend a little time with the parents once I arrived in ROC. When I found out that I was heading their way, I called them to see if they wanted to do dinner. They were very excited and were waiting for my arrival at the FBO when I got there. I was really looking forward to seeing them as well because due to my terrible schedule, I'm not going to make it home for x-mas this year. This would be the only time I'd get to see them. Besides, they are always good for a free meal ;) But in typical fashion, as soon as we get on the ground, deliver the liver and call in, we have another trip leaving immediately. Dispatch will not let us go eat. They want us to quick turn and get flying again a.s.a.p. We were all disappointed, but at least I got to show them the plane and what I do to get everything ready for a flight. It was great to see them, if only for a short time. As an added bonus, mom brought a plate of x-mas cookies. Thanks mom, they were gone by the end of the next leg.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home