Friday, December 08, 2006

Hi! I'm with the FAA! How may I assist you?

The title of this post sounds pleasant, doesn't it? It'd be nice if I thought that was the real intention of the FAA inspector who ramp checked my plane yesterday, but I don't think that was on his agenda. Yesterday we were paged out as soon as we went green (had our FAA required 10 hours of rest). Our trip would take us from where we were on the Texas/Mexico border, through our base in TX, then on up to CT. At our TX base, while I was doing my FO duty of checking the oil on the engines, a man with a brown leather coat, FAA badge and a little notebook came up to me and said "I'm with the FAA, I'm here to inspect your aircraft". This was going to be my first ramp check. I have never had the pleasure of dealing with one before, so naturally I was a little concerned. I had heard horror stories of FAA inspectors taking away pilot licenses and grounding airmen while finding errors during ramp checks. I certainly didn't want that to happen to me. I quickly racked my brain to make sure I had done all the paperwork, crossed all my T's and dotted my I's. I did. The inspector asked to see the flight log, where we were coming from and going, wanted to see the registration and if we had any write ups on the aircraft. I was nice and polite and showed him everything he wanted to see and answered all his questions. He wanted to see the cockpit and the inside of the plane. We ran into a problem when a company mechanic came out to the plane to work on one of our navigational instruments. During a previous flight, the CDI needle (course deviation needle, shows us if we are left or right of course) on the captains side seemed to have developed a twitch. We did not write it up in the book because we were at a base and were going to have a mechanic look at it. The inspector didn't like what he saw. He wanted to see the captain, but he was inside doing paperwork and was nowhere to be found. The inspector wanted to know why the mechanic was working on our plane while there was no write up in the book. Thankfully the quick thinking mechanic wrote it up for us. That seemed to satisfy the inspector.
Overall, I think it went well. He did notice the the fire extinguisher wasn't latched down well enough for his tastes and that there were missing numbers on our flight log???? But that was about it. As soon as he walked away from the plane, I ducked into the office and hung out until our freight got there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home