Sunday, October 28, 2007

4 hr delay to LGA Part 1

Show time -2.0

I had a notion that tonight's flight was going to be delayed. I had been watching the Weather Channel and saw that LGA, EWR and JFK all had 1.5 to 2 hour delays posted. I checked the TAF's and saw the reason why, low ceilings, low visibilities and rain.

Show time - 1:45

I check big airlines website to see if they are showing a delay on our flight, shows "On Schedule"

Show time -1:00

Check CrewTrac (our scheduling website) to see if our show time has changed. Nope, just showing a minor 5 min delay to LGA

Show time -:45

Hop in the shower to get ready to head downstairs to meet up with the rest of the crew. Wx channel still showing delays to LGA, big airline's website still showing on time.

Show time -:20

Meet in the hotel lobby. Captain and I discuss the wx in LGA. We bet each other on how long of a delay we are going to have. He's optimistic that things will go smoothly, but I have a sneaking suspicion that we are headed for a long night.

Show time -:05

We arrive at the gate area to see that its full of people wanting to get to NYC. The gate agent has our paperwork waiting for us, checks our ID's and lets us down the jetbridge.

Show time +01

I make my nest in the cockpit, stash my overnight bag in the back and head out to do the walk around. I finish the walk around, head back to the cockpit and start getting the plane ready for departure. I enter in the flight information into the ACARS, send that off to company and then go to request our PDC (pre departure clearance- at bigger airports you can request your IFR clearance digitally thru the FMS). The reply I get from the computer is an ominous one. We have an estimated wheels up time that's 4 hours from the current time. Uh oh, here we go. I show the Captain the message and he has me call clearance over the radio to confirm. A quick call and they say LGA has a ground stop in effect and re-confirms the 4 hour delay. About 30 seconds later the gate agent pops her head in and asks us if we've heard about the 2 hour delay. We give her the correct news that its a 4 hour delay, not 2.

Departure +30

The crew heads out to the terminal to stock up on supplies for the long night ahead of us. The CA grabs some food, the FA grabs some Cinnibuns and I manage to scrounge up my old freight dog favorite, Rockstar.

Departure +1:45

I get bored and start taking pictures. I love the fact that I now have a toilet on board. Gone are the days of whizzing in Gatorade bottles.




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that stool on the seat?

9:56 PM  
Blogger Windsor said...

Naa, just chipped paint.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home