Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Its official

Well the Pros have outweighed the Cons. I have decided to become reformed freight trash. I am crossing over to the light side and will start my training to become an "airline pilot" in a short period of time.

It is not my dream job, in fact far from it, but it should enable me to spend more time with the family and upgrade in a very short time. Like I said in previous posts, I had hoped to avoid the regionals, but the intolerable conditions at my present company have forced my hand. I think it says something about my company when 4 out of the 6 guys in my class have forgone an upgrade and left early. In fact, only 1 of us will become a Captain here, the rest have left or are in the process of leaving. As for those who have come after me, they are leaving too. In fact one guy only lasted 3 months before he bailed for greener pastures. The promise of a quick upgrade and that all important Turbine PIC is not worth the crap we have to put up with to get it. There is no way I'll put my family through another 18 months of this garbage. I do believe I have scraped the bottom of the barrel with this company. Things can only get better from here. Even though I have gotten the formal invitation to upgrade, leaving is a better option for me and my family.

Had I gotten this job straight out of college, I'm sure I'd have been really excited that I landed the job. As it is, my excitement level isn't exactly sky high. In fact its more blase' than anything. I'm conflicted because I know I'm passing up an upgrade and instant PIC turbine for another damn paycut. I've come to realize that my career progression is going backwards. I started out making over 30K flying a Navajo. I then went to a company to fly Beech 99's for a paycut to 26K. Then on to jets for another paycut in base salary. And finally I fly the biggest plane to date for a friggin airline and I'd make more working at McDonald's than I will for the airline!
This is not how things are supposed to go. Your pay should increase with the size of plane you fly, not decrease. And it doesn't stop there. After I make Captain at my new company, I'll be making a decent salary well above 50K, when I leave to go to my dream job, I'll again have to endure another paycut. Granted its only for a year, but still, you go from making close to 100K to 35K for a year and it'll take you a few years to again reach the 100K mark. Ugh. Remind me why I'm doing this again? Oh yeah, truck driving school was full.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well regardless of the paycut, congratulations on moving to a job that will allow you more time with your family. I am dying with suspense about which regional you're going to - compass? pinnacle? is it based out of MSP or another city? Will you be flying CRJ's, ERJ's? I know you don't want to give away the regional name but could you at least divulge the aircraft type and/or your base? That way we can figure it out without you having any liability.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm sure that this will be the right move long term. Make sure you tell us when you change the name of your blog!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Windsor said...

Thanks, I'll be flying the Barbie Jet and my base will be in the midwest. Thats about as detailed as I'm going to get about my new employer.

I suppose FreightDawginIt wont be a practical name anymore, I'll have to think of something new.

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep it, you'll be a freight dawg again, it's too deep in your blood.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Windsor said...

with any luck, I will be

11:14 PM  
Blogger JAFP said...

Nice blog. I don't know why I've never seen it before. I've added you to my Blogroll.

Money isn't everything. Family comes first always. You sound like a good family man and a good guy to have in the cockpit.

Good luck with flying peeps. Will you be flying Babie Jets or the WSCOD? From what you've posted earlier, I would guess Barbie jets for Flagship. Here's hoping you get a quick upgrade and find that 1,000 turbine PIC ASAP.

Mike

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home