Wednesday, June 06, 2007

No good deed goes unpunished

There is a saying among us line pilots here at my company, No good deed goes unpunished. What we mean by that is usually every time we do dispatch a favor and help them out, they usually screw us on something else a short time later. For example, I did dispatch a huge favor and agreed to work a day off so they could get a trip done. Otherwise they would have had to scramble to find another pilot, plane or crew to do the trip and that would have been a big headache and probably cost the company a lot of money. When the dispatcher called to see if I would do the trip for him, he was practically begging. So being the nice guy that I am, I agreed to help them out. This meant I'd get paid my paltry extra day rate (half of what a regular contract pilot would charge) and I'd miss out on time at home with the family. I was scheduled for 3 days at home, so now I was down to 2. The way I see it, I did them a huge favor. Do they remember it a few days later? Hell no!
I know I'm just being paranoid, but it seems they like to punish you every time you do them a favor. They never reciprocate the favor. For example, after working my day off and spending reduced time at home with the family I get a page from dispatch saying they were airlining me to our base in the north and the flight was the first one out in the morning. They all know how much I hate going to base, yet they do it anyway. But what makes it worse is after I get to base, I call in let them know I'm sitting at the airport ready to go and to please find me a trip out of here. The dispatchers gives me the usual "Oh yeah, no problem, we'll see what we can do". So as I'm sitting around the crew lounge, in walks my buddy with all his traveling bags. After a little conversation he tells me he got paged for a trip that's going to Mexico and he's taking the last airplane at the base. Pissed off couldn't even describe how mad I was. Not only did dispatch airline me to base, but then once I got there, they passed me over for a good mileage trip and left me there with no plane to fly!!! This is what I mean by punished. I do them a huge favor over the weekend and they royally screw me when I come back on duty. So now I sit here at base burning money at the rate of $60 a day when I should be out on the road, flying and making money. The airlines are looking better every day. I'm getting sick of this shit.

2 Comments:

Blogger ERJ Driver said...

Come join us at express jet. I am really enjoying it. The flying is incredible and our contract is industry leading. I am still on reserve but I fly every time I get into base. Never jsut sit around.

sean

7:27 PM  
Blogger Windsor said...

Sean,


I'm actually regretting passing on the job at XJT to come to my present company. A buddy of mine left my company not too long ago for XJT and he says he love it there. The decisions we make huh?

11:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home