Friday, June 01, 2007

The Devil I know, Part II

In my previous post I said I consider myself over qualified for a regional airline. Considering that several regional airlines have been advertising positions with my Alma Mater, I'd consider my time and experience level to be at or above most of the applicants for these positions. Honestly, I really never saw myself as a passenger guy, but given how things have gone in the past year or so, I'm actually considering flying pax. I've been looking at other jobs out there and one sticks out in my searches. It'd be for a regional, but this particular carrier is desperate for pilots. They are looking for guys like me that can upgrade really fast. I figure that if I were hired at this particular regional by the end of June, I'd make Captain by the end of the year. If it wasn't for the first year pay, I'd probably jump ship sooner rather than later. I'm going to weigh my options and see where I end up.

Pro's of going to this airline.
Better schedule
Better aircraft
More flying
121 time
Bases that I could easily commute to
I'd be home more
Better pay than my current job if/when I'd make Captain
No more Mexico with ratty equipment
Glass Cockpit time
The airline is in decent financial shape
I could potentially get my 1000 PIC turbine quicker than my current company
No more "On Demand" flying
No more backside of the clock flying, unless I bid for it.
No more sitting in hotels for days on end wondering when the next time I'm going to get a trip.
NO More Life tied to a Pager!!!!!!!!!!

Con's of making the switch
I'm still under contract with my current company.
I'd take a gigantic pay cut until I made Captain
I don't know if I could afford the pay cut.
Making captain in under a year is not a sure thing.
Did I mention the pay cut?
Sitting reserve for a long time before I'll have enough seniority to hold a line
I'd have to fly pax.
Training is long and I'd only get paid $400 a week
I'd still only get 10 days off a month
I'd be at the bottom of a seniority list
I'd have to wear the monkey suit and shave every day.
It'd cost me a lot of money I don't have to buy out of my contract
I'd start logging PIC turbine quicker here.
I kind of see it as a step backwards in the career chain. My current company was supposed to skip this step.
And yet again, the pay.

I'm sure there will be other things to add to both lists. Erin and I would have to sit down and have a really long discussion about our financial situation should I seriously consider doing this. Who knows whats going to happen. I just need to keep my options open and see what comes along.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in the software business. If there was a guy we really wanted, who wanted to come to us but for a contract, we'd try and buy the contract for him.

I guess such things aren't done in aviation.

I certainly can't advise you what to do, but I certainly wish the best of luck whichever way you go.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy,
I hope you are not talking about Pinnacle. I had along conversation with a captain from pinnacle and he was not very happy. I.e. Bad labor issues, three crew per aircraft, etc.

I am sure you have plans for a different carrier, but I though I would mention this any how..

Good luck with hard decision

Chris

7:43 PM  
Blogger Windsor said...

The aviation career is like navagating a minefield. Gotta try and pick my way through it as safely as I can.

Jim: I've heard of corporate companies buying contracts of guys they really want, but I think its very rare

Chris: I've heard some things about PCL as well. I plan on doing a lot of homework before I move to any regional. Right now its a toss up.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from what I've heard Pinnacle = bad. i know that its hard, but you cannot have pay on your con's list 3 times. taking a "small" pay cut now can put you in a position to make more money down the road. really, really factore in QOL. get with a good regional! one that will SIC type you right off. if i were you I would ride out the remainder of my contract , save save save and be ready for a pay cut in a few months to give youself a cushion. secondly, you wouldn't know the difference between flying the falcon with 2000 lbs of cargo or 2000 lbs of people in it. your eyes are outside and your head is in the cockpit game. it doesnt matter whats behind you. true, that you cannot be yankin, bankin like a frieght dogg, but who wants to do that anyway. your a professional. yank and bank on your days off with your kids in a c172.

yes the regionals are desperate and even lowering there mins to "comm, multi" at some (trans states), so don't go there. you should interview at the very least and talk to the C.P. mono on mono and let him sell you on it.

you have proved that you can fly the shit out of any airplane. now if you want to start enjoying your a career, brother...its 121 airlines. put in your app at continental mainline. you never know...

12:04 AM  
Blogger Windsor said...

My QOL of life right now is pretty piss poor as it is. The longest I'm home at one time this month is 4 days and that's if things work out and I'm lucky. I've had 2 friends from my current job jump to regionals and they tell me they are pretty happy. Granted they are single with no family and financial obligations to attend to.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home