Friday, June 22, 2007

The Coolest plane in the world!!!!






If I ever won the lottery, this would be my project!!!! I saw this sitting out on the ramp in ELP a few months ago and finally got the chance to see it up close. I think its the most badass plane I've ever seen. It looks like a mini B-58 Hustler. I've done a little research on it and haven't come up with much. All I know is that its old and hasn't flown in a very long time, but from the looks of it, its a screamer. Those 4 pure turbo jets sitting under the wing turn old dinosaurs into a lot of noise in a hurry. I'm guessing that it'll cruise in the Mach .90+ range. I would love to fly it! Drinks on me for whoever can guess what type of plane it is.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what that is. Only one was built. It's a......a......

DAMN! Now I won't think of anything else until I remember what it is.

Google here I come.

10:33 AM  
Blogger James said...

This is the McDonnell 220 four engine business jet.

http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/hist073b.htm

Great history here:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Galaxy/4707/mc_119.htm


How about re-engineing the J34 with Williams International FJ44 fans?

J34-WE-17: 3,370 lb (15 kN) thrust
or 4,900 lb (22 kN) thrust with afterburner
J34-WE-22: 3,000 lb (13.3 kN) thrust
J34-WE-36: 3,400 lb (15 kN) thrust

FJ44-4 - 3600 lbf Fanjet
FJ44-3 - 3000 lbf Fanjet

James

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

McDonnell 119/220!!!!!!


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_119

Now I can go back to work.

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a McDonnell Douglas Model 119/220 http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices/gallery/hist073b.htm

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were pretty lucky to get a look at this aircraft. It is the only one that was ever made.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the one and only MD-220. Ferried to ELP in 1985. You should upload these shots to airliners.net as there are only two others posted.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found a picture of the plane at www.airliners.net.

It says it is a McDonnell MD-220 and the only one ever build.

I really enjoy reading your blog.

Jens Kahsnitz

1:58 PM  
Blogger Windsor said...

Looks like you guys did your homework. If you can ever nail me down to one city for more than a day, I'll spring for a few beers.

jbaloun: I'd throw on a different set of turbojets. I love the CJ610's I fly on the Lear. They'll still suck gas and make a hell of a racket, but there are plenty of them and their parts around.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Joe McDermott said...

Beautiful aircraft, pity just a once off. Finally got to photograph it during October, see
http://www.worldairpics.com/photo/1043464/M/McDonnell-MD220/N4AZ/Fuel-Fresh-Inc/?&sid=2626240683&sp=1

Joe, Dublin, Ireland

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home