Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Moral Dilemma part 2..... The Aftermath

Coming to a decision about what to do with my situation took a lot of hard thinking. It also took a few calls to some of my fellow pilots to ask for advice. After thinking about it for a few days, I decided that what the captain did needed to be reported to the chief pilots office. I didn't want to see any other pilots at my company get in hot water for something they didn't do nor had any knowledge of.
So while I was at base, I stopped by the boss's office and had a chat. I told him about what happened and he immediately started looking into it. While I was in the office he managed to track down the issue, research it and come up with a solution that made sure everything would be kosher with the world. It turns out that the technicality issue I thought we had was not a problem after all so none of the crews that flew the plane after us would come under scrutiny. Based on what the captain did that night, he was wrong in what he did. He got lucky this time because technically the plane was still legal, but at the time he made his error in judgment, he was under the impression the plane wasn't going to be legal and so was I, hence all the deep thought on what to do. The chief was glad I came in and thanked me for bringing this to his attention. I hated having to go in there and do that, but it was for the best of everyone involved. In the end it was a learning experience. Not something I care to deal with again, but I'm not naive, I know this is not the last time I'm going to have to deal with ethical questions. So, you live and you learn.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you handled a difficult situation in a professional way.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home