Friday, April 04, 2008

Captain

Well, its been 2 years since I've flown with my left hand, I wonder if my hand is going to remember how its done? It's official, I've made the list. The only list I've cared about for the past few months. The Vacancy List for Captains. I'm pretty excited to be on that list. It means a great deal to me professionally, personally and financially. I was awarded a CRJ-900 position for my company.

On a professional level, it is another big step in the career. I'll finally get around to getting my ATP license. (I've been putting it off for a long time because I'm too cheap to pay for my own checkride.) I'll be logging that all important turbine PIC time and I'll move one step closer to getting that "dream" job.

Personally, I've been looking forward to this for a while. It was difficult passing up on an instant upgrade at my last company. Looking back, it was the absolute best thing I could have possibly done. I talk to my friends that did decide to stay and take the upgrade and none of them are happy they stayed. I know I would have been miserable and that would have translated into my family being miserable as well.

Financially, this is a big, big step in the right direction. First year pay at a regional airline is an insult. Doing a little math the other day, I calculated my pay to be $12.82 an hour after taxes, health insurance, 401K Ect. When you factor in that reserve pilots rarely break guarentee of 75 hours, you can see that we are extremely underpaid. Making captain will nearly triple my take home pay.

Looks like its time to hit the books again. Class does not start for several weeks, but I plan on heading in to class fully prepared.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats!

5:13 PM  
Blogger Windsor said...

Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. It'll be on the -200 and not the -900 as I originally thought. Things are always changing.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home