Thursday, May 18, 2006

Howdy

Seeing as how this is my first post, I'll include a little background info on me and what I do. Currently I am a high lift device and undercarriage technician, otherwise known as a First Officer. I am a very new hire with a jet cargo company. In fact, I have yet to complete my IOE (initial operating experience). This is going to be my first jet job and I'm very excited about it. I'm currently sitting at my crash pad staring at my pager waiting desperately for it to go off and send me on my first trip.
Its been a long and winding road to get me to my current position of sitting on the couch waiting for a trip. I started my aviation journey 13 years ago in western NY. My dad and I signed up for flying lessons at the same time. I eventually got my private license and decided to make aviation my career. I packed up my stuff and headed off to a large well known aviation college in the upper midwest. After I got my commercial ticket, I took a summer off from class to fly for an aerial photography company in my native NY. That was a great first job that afforded me a great opportunity to build a lot of hours and gain some valuable experience. A summer later I worked hard and completed my CFI and promptly went to work for the university flight instructing. After graduation I landed a job with an airline tossing bags (great job, loved it) until I could find a flying job. Luckily there was an engineering firm not too far away from where I was living that needed a pilot. So I landed my third flying job and first job flying multi-engine planes. Again, a great job, great people and company but due to a new addition to the family, rising gas prices and a long daily commute, I had to leave that great job and take one closer to home. So Part 135 here I come. Time to switch gears from flying in severe clear doing aerial photography, to the rough and tumble world of 135 On-Demand charter and box hauling runs in hard IFR. Most definitely the hardest job I had up until that point. Had to knock the cobwebs off my instrument skills and prepare for single pilot flying in some of the worst weather the midwest can throw at you. This was a great learing job. I got my first taste of on-demand charter, first real hard IFR flying with plenty of approaches to mins, holding and diverting. I feel that this job fully prepared me for taking a position with my current company.
Well I plan on keeping a pretty up to date blog on whats going on in the world of auto parts and the jets that fly them around. Hopefully in the near future I'll get a new camera so I can post some pics of where I'm going and what I'm doing. Later......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home